Ever wondered how grand is the “Grand Mosque” really is? Have you ever asked yourself what are the things you need to do in order to get inside? Have you ever imagined how awesome, majestic and solemn to be inside the mosque? Don’t you worry – as we are going to take and show you inside the most famous mosque in the UAE.
The Sheikh ZaGrand Mosque is located in the capital of UAE, Abu Dhabi, which is 2 hours away from Dubai. It is the largest mosque in the world and can accommodate at least 40,000 worshippers. It was completed last December 20, 2007. The proponent of this mosque is no other than the founding father of the UAE, His Highness Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, who was also buried in the site itself. As of this writing, it is now the most iconic landmark here in Abu Dhabi.
Upon entering the said mosque, you can feel relaxation, peacefulness, and solemnity. There a few things to remember though when entering this place which we have already listed below.
1. Try getting around there at 4:30 PM so you can catch the sunset. It is really very nice for your photos.
2. Dress conservatively. Avoid wearing ripped jeans, off shoulders, skirts, shorts, spaghetti shirt and other dresses that will show off too much of your skin. But if you are wearing any of type of these dresses, worry not, because they will provide free “abaya” with a head scarf for women and “condura” for men. When the head scarf is falling back, you need to put it back immediately.
3. Hugging, holding hands, and arms wrapped around the opposite sex inside the mosque is not allowed. Please respect this one. I remember when hubby and I wanted to take a picture, the guard told us that our arms should not be too close to each other.
4. Upon entering the mosque’s public viewing area, you need to remove your shoes. this is actually compulsory before you can go there.
5. There is no entrance (Yes, it is FREE for everyone).
6. If you don’t want any photo bombers on your photos and want to make sure it is Instagram-worthy, come around 7 PM. The blue lights on the water are also very nice and calm at this time.
Operating hours from Saturday through Thursday is 9 AM until 10 PM (the last entry will be 9:30 PM though). For Friday, they are open only from 4:30 PM until 10 PM as the mosque will be used during the morning for prayer (Friday is a holy day for Muslims). They also have a free guided tour for walk-ins and group of 10 persons but with a specific timing only.
1. You can get here by TAXI. It is very famous and everybody knows this place.
2. By your own car. If you don’t know the place, google maps and GPS can save your day.
3. Take the 54 bus in front of Al Wahda Mall and make sure to drop at East Wing bus stop. From there you need to walk 10-15 minutes.
For more information about the mosque, don’t hesitate to call them at (+971) 02 419 1919.
Note: This post is not paid/sponsored by the City Government of Abu Dhabi or Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque. The trip to the Grand Mosque has been paid by Piggybeartravels themselves. The above posting is based on what we see and tried by ourselves. If you have some deals just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org